Previous | Next | Discuss :: Free Advice (General Feng Shui)

Topic: The 16 Days of Chinese New Year!
Conf: Discuss :: Free Advice (General Feng Shui), Msg: 12469
From: Anon (Hidden from Privacy)
Date: 1/9/2003 05:17 AM

Dear Marie,

If you have Chinese guests, it would be a nice gesture if the host can wear Red. As this is considered a very auspicious colour for this occassion.

If you country allows the use of fire crackers, this is a tradition, we Chinese use to ward off evil and usher in the new year.

Furthermore, the pathway will be pathed with the remains of red paper (belonging to the fire crackers). If u are not allowed to do so, please don't do so.

If you have give exchange, never, never, give a wall clock as a gift. This is very bad luck!

If you have Chinese guests, try to find some lovely Chinese music. Otherwise, some soothing music would create a warmth atmosphere.

And if you can obtain Chinese Red packets or we call it `Ang Pow' then, it is good to place e.g. a $2 or $10 note in it. Or any other amount that is even numbers e.g. 20cents or 20 penny etc... This token can be given to your friends who have children to take home with them. Always remember to casually check with them how many children they have. Do not end up, giving away one packet less. There is no issue here, but, don't hee... let the kid who did not receive one `hate one for life:).'

Do not sweep the floor on the first day of Chinese New Year (CNY) which is on 1 February 2003.

CNY lasts a total of 15 days up to 15 February 2003. This is where 1 February 2003 is a full moon day. And the moon starts to wane until the last day. (15th February 2003. You can consider DAY 16 as a `very special' day to remember.

Above all, FORGET ABOUT ANY OTHER TABOO! DO ENJOY!

I like to share will all non-Chinese, the significance of each day of CNY:-

Eve of Chinese New Year: We have a family reunion dinner. For example, a steamboat dinner where all family members gather in the evening to have a meal.

Day 1: This is the day where many Chinese welcome their gods of heaven and earth. Many Toaist or buddhist Chinese do not eat meat on this day. Because, they believe that this can bring them happiness or long life.

But, if u are having a function on this day, and if your invited friends cannot survive without meat (e.g. faint) then, oops! forget that you ever saw me mentioning about the " Day 1 ".

Day 2: On this day, some Chinese who worship their ancestors, pray to them on this day.

Between Day 3 and 4: On this day, in the past, the son-in-law would merrily go to this in-law's home to visit them or pay them his respects and give them an `Ang Pow' or red packet with money. (Usually, man are simply too lazy. It ends up with the daughter doing all these. Perhaps, she is the financial officer of the home?

Day 5 $$$: The "smarter" Chinese itched this in their memory for life: This is the day they are suppose to welcome our God of Wealth. So that they can receive luck.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO MARK THIS DAY DOWN IN YOUR CALENDAR! 5TH FEBRUARY 2003

Never visit your family or friends on this day! If you do, then, you are throwing away your luck!.....

Between Day 6 to 10: Now you can start to visit your family, relatives or friends. Some Chinese have enjoyed themselves and some visit their favourate temples.

Day 7: I personally enjoy this day as I get to eat RAW FISH. This is symbolic of " Every Year got Fish ". I believe, there is no objection from any Japanese who by second nature, eats raw fish.

Please note that fish represents the food we eat or sustain us. But modern people may want or demand " Every Year got Money ". Well up to individual expections, even if may never materialise....

On this day, we also try to eat noodles that have long strands. This is symbolic of longevity.

If anyone opens a restaurant, you can use this information to promote a special event on that day.

For this year, it is on 7th February 2003.

Day 8: For the Hokkiens like myself (decendants from the Fujian province of China) and many Taiwanese who exited from communist China to Taiwan may practise this. As they are also hokkien:-

We have another family reunion dinner. (Maybe you can say that we did not had a full meal on the eve of CNY!).

But I do not do this now, only when very young: Many Hokkiens still do pray to Tian Gong or our God of Heaven (Note he is not the CFO - Chief Financial Officer) of the Heavens. (The CFO is the God of Wealth which is on the 5th day of CNY). On earth, some wife's can be considered as the CFO of their family:)

Day 9: On this day many Chinese offer their offerings to the CEO of Heaven. The highest ranking: Jade Emperor who rules the entire Heaven. Don't `pray' `pray' (play, play) with him.

Between Day 10 to 12: Feel free to invite friends over during this period.

Day 13: Well, seems like we had over eaten over the last 12 days or more. On this day, many Chinese take simple porridge with pickled vegetables and simple steamed peanuts to cleanse their body system.

Day 14: This is the time when lantern makers are eagerly waiting to make money selling Chinese lanterns of any shape or design.

Day 15: Last day of CNY. And on the night of 15th February 2003 this is known as the Chinese Lantern Festival.

For kids reading this erh... please - don't burnt your house with candle lighted in these lanterns!

Day 16: For all Chinese who have yet to wake up on this day, please DO! YOUR HOLIDAY FESTIVE MOOD IS OVER! GET BACK TO SERIOUS WORK AND DON'T DREAM! If you want to dream, please wait till CNY 2004! And after this date, if your house has better Flying Star Feng Shui, try to change your house to this new Flying Star for Period 8!

I hope many of you will now better understand, our Chinese New Year customs. Please ignore Day 16 as this is just a joke:)

Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 1/9/2003 3:54:00 AM, Marie Babbidge wrote:
>I am planning a Chinese New
>Year Party. Are there any
>special deorations or
>ceremonies we should observe.
>Thank you marie

Copyright 1996-onwards Geomancy.Net, Cecil & Robert Lee. All Rights Reserved.

International Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights Notice
All messages posted TO THIS SITE which includes this forum and other contents made accessable by us to the public cannot be copied; reproduced; recompiled; stored in a retrieval system; or transmitted, in any form or by any means; electronic; mechanical; photocopying; recording; or otherwise. - Learn more

Please kindly contact us at support@geomancy.net. if you should encounter any breach of Copyright and Intellectual Property rights. Thank you in advance!

Back to Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net

 [ Site Search | Forum Search | Picture Search | Site Map ]

Help Desk: (65) 9785-3171

Highlights

Extend your learning with Master Cecil Lee's Applied Feng Shui Made Easy Book.

" Real People, Real Life, Real Situation " - Learn from thousands of actual case studies at our popular Free Advice Forum.

" Worry-Free Professional Feng Shui Services " - from the authors of Geomancy.Net

[ Award & Accolades ]

Site Navigation

   Feng Shui Freebies
   Feng Shui Resources